Formerly the Ontario Council of Alternative Businesses, Working for Change was established in 1994 to respond to the need for employment opportunities for people with mental health. Since then we have expanded our mandate to include other marginalized communities.
To provide training and employment opportunities to people who have been marginalized by mental health/addictions challenges, poverty, homelessness, violence and refugee/new comer issues; to speak out against marginalization; to work to change policies that adversely affect our communities.
A home, a job, a friend and social change
We envision a society where everyone has access to meaningful employment, adequate housing, a society that no longer stigmatizes people with mental health/addictions issues, a society where no one is hungry, and where social enterprises are a thriving and vibrant sector of the Canadian economy.
Working for Change is an organization that values:
- The lived experience and knowledge of people disadvantaged by mental health/addictions challenges, poverty, homelessness, violence and refugee/newcomer issues
- Diversity and respect for difference
- Efforts to combat stigma related to mental health challenges and addictions
- Peer Support
- Social enterprise as a means to promote economic and social well-being
- Employment as a critical component of recovery and social and economic well being
- Personal growth and increased self-esteem through education and training
- The leadership of people with lived experience
- Ongoing individual support for employess and participants
Help us to build independent lives
If desired, you can specify which program or business you would like to support.